Thursday, June 28, 2012

DIY Photo and Recipe Holder

While visiting my family in Arizona, my sister showed me how to make these super cute photo/recipe holders.  I love them because they are really easy to make and very inexpensive.

I usally make them in bulk..it's just a little easier that way. Each one costs only about $6.

To make you will need black flat spray paint, gorilla wood glue, a tape measure, wooden plaque, small candlestick, a finial a magnetic clip, and a piece of 2x8 wood (I cut mine into 11 inch pieces).  You will also need scrapbook paper and modpodge, which I forgot to include in the picture.

After getting your wood cut, you'll want to quickly sand to get rid of some of the rough edges and splinters.


Use a tape measure to find the center of the board, and make a mark.

Find your mark, and screw in your finial.( I found the finials at Lowes.)
Update: Lowes no longer carries the finials.  I was able to find the same ones at http://www.hpwoodturnings.com/furniture_craft.html.  You have to call them to make the order.  They are called medium craft finials.

Using Gorilla Wood Glue, attach the candlestick to the top of the plaque.  I just eyeball it and try to get it as centered as possible.  Hold them together firmly for about 1 minute. (I got both the plaque and candlestick at Hobby Lobby.)


After letting the glue dry for at least 30 minutes, put glue on the top of the candlestick and place the large wood piece on top. 

Allow this to dry for about an hour.
Spray paint the entire thing your desired color.  You don't have to completely paint the front because you will be putting paper on top.

After letting the spray paint dry, add mod podge to the front of your wood.  Apply enough to cover the entire area. 

Measure your scrapbook paper ahead of time to fit exactly on the front.  Immediately after you apply the mod podge, place your scrapbook paper on top and smooth with your fingers until there are no bumps.  Thicker scrapbook paper works the best.  Next, apply a layer of mod podge on top of the paper.

After letting the mod podge dry, add gorilla wood glue to the back of your magnetic clip and place at the top center of your recipe holder. After letting it dry, you're all done!

 
Great for pictures!


I love it for recipes too!  Such a cheap and easy gift for friends and teachers. Good luck with it and have fun!
And if you're new to my blog, I would love it if you became a follower. Thanks so much for stopping by!

I Link to:

8 comments:

  1. Love it! You could even make holiday themed ones!
    Would love for you to share at Show & Share this Wednesday!
    www.vintagegwen.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Such amazing holders.. Thanks for linking up I am pinning this..

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are super darling!! Thanks for stopping by Fox Hollow Cottage =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! So pretty and functional. Following along as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful job! I LOVE this & pinned it for later!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this idea, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is beautiful. Love the one of the kids. Pinned it. New follower, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...